Extreme Weather and Auto Insurance: Are You Covered?
With the snowstorm just upon us, it’s a good time to talk about bad weather driving tips and auto insurance coverage.
When dealing with extreme weather conditions, drivers face out-of-the-ordinary challenges when they get behind the wheel. From the moment the vehicle is in motion, extreme weather driving demands your full attention. Even the best of drivers can find themselves in trouble when weather conditions are bad. Snow, hail, hurricane, tornadoes – all can make it hard for drivers to see and slow down and stop in time, thus increasing the chances of an accident. Safe driving and well-maintained vehicles take on an even greater importance in extreme weather conditions.
Here are a few extreme weather driving tips:
- Be Prepared.
- Complete a Pre-Trip Inspection.
- Keep a safe distance between yourself and other vehicles.
- Hold your steering wheel firmly.
- Brake and accelerate lightly.
- Be cautious when approaching bridges and overpasses.
- Obey all road signs.
- If stranded or stuck, stay in your vehicle.
- If weather conditions look bad, get off the road.
- Pack and store an emergency kit in your trunk or cargo area with items you could use in the event of a roadside situation.
Equally important is having the right auto insurance policy in place. Most states require you have car insurance and have laws that outline the minimum level of coverage you must buy. The minimum limits your state requires, however, may not necessarily be adequate. When deciding how much coverage you need, make sure you’re covered for an amount equal to the total value of your assets. Even if you’ve never had an auto accident, understanding your car insurance claims process is crucial.
Every year have your auto insurance policy reviewed, there may be a better policy with lower premiums available. It’s pretty easy to make the necessary changes to your car insurance.